I had the best, best day today. It happens to be the second day of my shopping hiatus and I was trying to figure out what to do to distract myself from meandering to a store...... so, I decided to take on a "do-it-yourself" home improvement project {this might just be one of many}.
I have to preface my project with a story....
A few years ago my cute neighbor passed away from a hard battle with cancer. She was this spunky, darling woman and I adored her. This past summer her husband and daughter decided to have a Yard Sale and purge a few "Old" items from their house. This Vintage bedspread below was one of the items up for sale. Really? Who would EVER get rid of this amazing piece of fabric? It was $3.00. I jumped on this prized possession and my mind raced all the way home as I imagined the wonderful uses for it.
I stuck it in one of my closets and kind of forgot about it, until today. The colors are so fun.... Pink and Red. Love these colors. The fabric itself has this amazing texture and the pattern is awesome. Very vintage looking, yet looks brand new. Does that make sense?
This was a fun project and it took me maybe 3 hours from start to finish. Not bad eh?
This is an interesting little side note. When my Grandpa passed away about 12 years ago, I inherited his staple gun set. I was THRILLED because he kept the guns and staples in perfect, pristine condition. Joe decided to buy me a new staple gun this year because he thought my old "vintage" staple gun was a piece of HUD. Well dear.....
The New staple gun was a piece of HUD today and the old staple gun worked like a charm and saved me.
So, my vintage material and vintage staples really helped me stay out of trouble today. I guess I 'd better start thinking of some new ideas for tomorrow.
As I was finishing my project, the doorbell rang. I opened the door and to my surprise, it was my cute friend from down the street that sold me the fabric last summer. I just had to show her what I had done with her Mom's bedspread. She loved it and said her Mom would be so happy. She also said the bedspread was 100 years old. Whoa! That seriously made my day. I feel like I have a little piece of JoAnn in my home now and I'm pretty sure that spunky little gal is smiling down on me.

5 comments:
Can't wait to hear about more of your 'spend free' days! What a fun project! Love, love, love the colors of the fabric and I'm one that not only appreciates a great deal, but a great story that goes along with it.
Plus, your little model and helper is the cutest! :)
Oh, Julie! I looooove that fabric. it's gorgeous!
What a fun project, you are so talented~
I LOVE this Julie! Very cool. Good for you!
The chairs are beautiful. Your quilts turned out really nice too. You're getting to be so crafty! You're probably not missing the shopping at all, right?
Post a Comment