Little miss Betty Crocker and I have been working hard in the kitchen this morning. We decided to make a decadent Mississippi Mud Cake. It looks and smells soooooooo good. As you know, I'm not eating sugar for 2 months, so I can assure you, I haven't had so much as a lick. {PROMISE}
We're going to cut it up, dish it out and give it away. That way I won't be tempted to do more than just SMELL it. For some ODD reason, the smell is enough for me. I'm pretty sure I enjoy baking more than eating.... OK, that's so not true, but I'm gonna keep telling myself that for the next 2 months.
You're probably wondering how I could possibly know and trust that this culinary concoction is any good without sampling. Well, by the smell of my house and the texture and beauty of the thing.... I'm pretty sure it's edible.
This recipe is a little time consuming, but I PROMISE, it's worth your efforts! TRUST ME!
Mississippi Mud Cake
{recipe from Southern Cakes}
2 sticks butter, cut into big chunks
1/2 C. cocoa powder
4 eggs, beaten
1 t. vanilla
2 C. sugar
1 1/2 C. flour
1/4 t. salt
1 C. chopped nuts, optional {I used chopped almonds on half}
For Mud Frosting:
3 1/4 C. powdered sugar
1/2 C. cocoa powder
1 stick butter, melted
1/2 C. milk
1 t. vanilla
4 C. mini marshmallows
Method- Cake:
Heat the oven to 350. Grease and flour a 13 x 9" pan. In a medium saucepan combine the butter and cocoa powder, eggs, vanilla, sugar, flour, salt and nuts and beat until the batter is well combined and the flour has disappeared.
Quickly pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes until the cake springs back when touched.
While the cake bakes, prepare the frosting so it is ready to pour over the hot cake.
Method- Mud Frosting:
In a medium bowl combine the powdered sugar and the cocoa powder and stir to mix well. Add the melted butter, vanilla and milk and mix well.
To Serve:
Remove the cake from the oven, scatter the marshmallows over the top and return the cake to the hot oven for a few minutes until marshmallows begin to melt. Place cake, still in the pan, on a wire rack. Pour the frosting all over the marshmallows and let set up.
All the special people in your life will be thrilled to eat this yummy treat.
Bon Appetite!

3 comments:
These pictures are hillarious! Just don't know how you can give up the two "S" words (sweets & shopping) at the same time. You sure didn't take after me, cuz I could NEVER do it. Wish I lived closer so I could help you make that mud pie disappear!
What time are you servin' in up? We'll be around then! :)
You guys are all a bunch of hot mamas cookin up a storm over there!
Post a Comment