Saturday, December 13, 2008

True meaning of Christmas...



A few weeks ago our ward presented a giving tree, placed in the foyer, for all to see. This tree, with hundreds of leaves, represented eleven children desperately in need of basic items and necessities. (socks, undies, toys, food ect....) Each family had the opportunity to see their pictures and select leaves, with items they were willing to buy, and help these children have the Christmas they deserve.
I'm always amazed and proud to live in such a kind and generous neighborhood. The tree was polluted with hundreds of items and every single leaf was plucked from the tree.

Today was the big event to put the gift baskets together. I was so happy when I walked through the door (at 9:00 am Saturday morning) and the place was jam packed with families so willing and happy to help. 
Our particular table was set up on behalf of a little 5 year old boy named Esteban. The only thing he wanted for Christmas was a matchbox car. I'm happy to say, he and his family are getting so much more. Yeah! 

The Brud's (our awesome next door neighbors)
Joseph and his friends also helped wrap the gifts
Seth and Mary Braun (Seth was amazing at wrapping and put all the women to shame) I was hoping Joe would take notes
This was the gift table for Esteban and his family and we weren't even finished yet


Here comes Santa Claus......check out the children's faces as Santa enters the room..... I love it!
Hazel was so excited and said, "Momma, is Santa Clause really coming to town"?
 Hazel and Spence are listening ever so closely to Santa's words of wisdom....
Marie and her cute friends pose with Santa...
Awe..... this is the Pia's very first picture ever taken with Santa. I'm so glad we had this opportunity.... it was priceless.

 
Well, I have to say, I have a new perspective on the true meaning of Christmas. This is probably the best Christmas season I can remember and it's still in full swing. I'm grateful my family had the opportunity to help other families in need. To me, this is the best gift I could give to my kids. My heart is so full of concern and despair knowing there are families here in our state who have absolutely nothing. I guess there are hundreds of children in Utah who only receive one meal a day. I know we can't help everyone, but I can proudly say there are eleven families who will have a very Merry Christmas this year. 

2 comments:

Karen said...

What a neat opportunity for your kids. I love the picture with Santa Claus. You need to send out Christmas cards again with that picture!

Verity said...

Julie, I got goosebumps reading this. THANKS for sharing it! Your family is so awesome!

Love,
Verity and the gang

Pias . together . forever . Hooray

Pias  .  together  .  forever  .  Hooray