Saturday, December 27, 2008

Recipe of the week...


This recipe is from my friend Kristen Muir who is such a wonderful cook. I found it through her Ivie Family Cookbook. It has quickly become a family favorite. Sometimes I omit the meat and serve this dish Vegetarian style. It's delicious and hearty either way.
 The minute I turned 16 I wanted to find a job to show my maturity and capabilities. I eagerly applied for a position at Sbarro's Italian Eatery located at the University Mall in Orem. I started right away and loved every minute of it. My favorite part was making the Pizza's and baked ziti. I was the girl who gave extra large slices and gigantic portions. I think this is where my love affair with food started. Needless to say, this recipe can definitely hold it's own and will hopefully become one of your families favorites as well.


Baked Ziti



I lb. Italian sausage or lean ground beef
1 pound dry ziti pasta
1 onion, chopped (or ½ onion)
2 (26 oz. jars spaghetti sauce)
6 oz. provolone cheese, sliced
1 ½ cups sour cream
6 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
2 T. grated parmesan cheese

Cook Ziti pasta in lg. pot salted water, about 8 minutes, drain.
Brown meat and onion in large skillet and add spaghetti sauce. Simmer
15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray Pam on a 9X13 baking dish
And layer as follows: ½ of the Ziti, Provolone cheese, sour cream, ½ sauce mixture, remaining ziti, mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until cheeses are melted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always love your recipes. Thank you and my family thanks you too.

The Muirs said...

Thanks for the credit, but I can't take the credit. It's Mel's (sister) recipe blog. If you haven't tried the "sunshine" soup recipe, you must try it (it's to die for). I hope to add several yummy recipes soon (if I can ever get life under control). Hope your holidays were GREAT!

Kristen

Blanck said...

This one looks awesome. Thanks for all the yummy recipes

Pias . together . forever . Hooray

Pias  .  together  .  forever  .  Hooray