Thursday, November 13, 2008

Field trip frenzy.....

Today was a really fun day for Spence. The first graders had a busy, busy field trip which included 5 separate stops. I was lucky enough to be one of the mom's that got to go with them. 
Our first stop was to the Dairy at Welfare Square. The kids got to see exactly how the milk is placed into jugs and packaged to be sent to 6 states. The kids got there very own milk jug and cheese to sample. Pretty neat.

The next stop was to the Bread mill. This big bowl mixes 187 loaves of bread at a time. And I thought my Bosch (holding 6 loaves) was the bomb... 
The place smelled amazing and we got to take 2 loaves of bread with us to eat. yum yum!
This is the packaging department for the bread. It was really interesting to see how they manage to package all that bread.
The 3rd stop was to "Sweets" candy company. I wasn't able to take my camera in, but this was by far, the coolest place. They were so nice and took us on a wonderful tour. The minute we hit the chocolate room, I became overwhelmingly happy. I'm telling you, women NEED chocolate! It is a requirement for a healthy spirit and mind.  I still can't get over the fact that they actually had pipes of dark and milk chocolate, in a constant flow, moving throughout the entire building. They looked just like our water pipes, only chocolate. Yes, I started to fantasize and then had to snap my self out of it.... it's been 2 weeks since I've consumed any sugar and this was a definite challenge.



The 4th stop was to the grocery store. This could have been fun, but it wasn't. The kids were tired, hungry and bored. The man, Sean, who took us on our tour was definitely not kid friendly, we were bored to tears. Not worth taking a picture of Albertson's. 


But...... our last stop was a big hit. We went to the Pet store! The kids were in heaven. They asked 8 billion questions and devoured every bit of information they could. This is a picture of Spence and his awesome (single) teacher, Carolee. We love her to pieces.
It's now 2:00 p.m. and we're back on the bus, heading back to school to finally eat our lunch. 

One of the highlights of MY trip was hanging out with my good friend, Dru. It was great to catch up with her, just like old times. 

3 comments:

nicole b said...

you changed your background again! so cute! Sounds like a fun field trip, except for Albertson's. That's a long day of fun. I often wonder how school teachers do it! Love ya!

Karen said...

Wow, they really packed in a lot for a one day field trip. I would have thought I'd died and gone to heaven in the chocolate room. They would have had a hard time getting me to leave! I can smell the chocolate just thinking about that room. If only school could be this fun every day!

Tiff said...

What a fun field trip with a darling group of kids!

Pias . together . forever . Hooray

Pias  .  together  .  forever  .  Hooray