Monday, May 30, 2011

Tiger mother



Looks like we'll be spending the majority of Memorial Day in-doors this year. That's not exactly how I envisioned the day in my head, but I'm pretty confident this weather is hanging around for yet another day.... whah... whah... whah...


Our basement is still flooding. What I mean by STILL flooding is that we've been flooding for 8 years now. We've tried everything humanly possible to put a stop to it, but to no avail. 


So... I guess we'll continue to flood until Mother Nature decides to leave for awhile and let our house dry up. 


I read a wonderful book over the weekend. I thought I'd share....




The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua. 




This book was nothing short of fascinating. I grew up with your typical Western parents. My Mom is amazing in every sense of the word, but strict was NOT her forte. I grew up feeling safe, loved, well rounded with a great self esteem, and a significant part of a healthy family unit. What could be better than that? 


Well, I'm definitely NOT a concert pianist or violinist. I'm NOT planning on going to the Olympics to play tennis anytime soon. I didn't have to practice an instrument for 6 hours a day. And most importantly, my Mother DID NOT hover over my every move. (I'm sure that would've been disastrous!)


So why is this book so intriguing? It basically lit a match under my tush. I can definitely improve my mothering skills and help my kids achieve whatever THEY want in this life. I need to do my part with confidence by giving them every opportunity to follow thru and succeed. That's what this book taught me. Do I need to be a tiger mother to do this? NO WAY... but maybe just a little!  I will continue to improve on a daily basis with LOVE,  SUPPORT and a little nudging along the way.


I highly recommend this book. It'll give you something to think about. 


Danny, Julia, LeRoy and baby Henry came for a visit Saturday morning. I thought I'd share a few pictures of lil' Henry. I think he's a good mix between Julia, Joe, Max and Chandler. Ha!  He's SO, SO,  SO adorable.



I can't get enough of this little man.  I wanna eat him alive. 


Happy Memorial day. 

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Oh my gosh...so funny. I just finished this book yesterday. I, too, loved it and was so fascinated by her methods. I think every parent should read it, just to give us a different perspective on parenting. I could never do what she does--she's kindof psychotic, but I definitely could learn from her, and also understand a little about where she is coming from. Great read.

Pias . together . forever . Hooray

Pias  .  together  .  forever  .  Hooray