Tuesday, May 17, 2011

GOTR is so much fun

Wow! School is really winding down isn't it? I can feel it in the air. The kids' excitement is circulating through the house. I really, really love this time of year. My mood is definitely good and the kids are bouncing off the walls with summer activities spinning through their little heads. 


With the end of the school year wrapping up, it seems like our entire year of sports, activities, school work and life comes to a screeching halt. It feels good but sad at the same time. (I'm sure I'll be happy the minute I get to sleep in)


You may know that Girls on the run is a program dear to my heart.  Our elementary school decided to pick it up this year and words can not describe how excited I was for this. When I found out about it, I was beyond thrilled to FINALLY get Berks in the program. I decided to jump in and be one of her coaches. Can I just say... this is such a great program. Not only did the girls learn about self esteem, nutrition & health, body image, self worth, healthy living, etc.... They also learned how to RUN like the wind. How cool is that? I wish someone had taught me those things in 6th grade. The best part for me you ask?  I got to spend every Tuesday and Thursday with my favorite girl and her friends. I'm kind of in love with these girls. They are AMAZING!


The program runs until the end of May, but the girls got to run their first 5k over the weekend. It was a beautiful, sunny morning at Sugar house park and the girls were extra excited. They worked so hard to get here and it payed off. 


I'm so proud of Berkley for sticking with it even though it was dang hard. I can't believe her improvement from the beginning of the season until now. She's a totally different person. 
 Cutest girls on the planet
 Some of the cute running buddies with their girls
My cute friend Angie put this entire program together with a few other ladies. She's amazing and has worked really hard to get this program off the ground in Utah. We had 22 schools represented on Saturday. That's double from last year. Pretty amazing!!! Good job Ang!


Angie don't kill me for posting this picture. I know your eyes are {partially} closed,  but I absolutely HAD to show you off and this was the only picture I could find.
 Heading over to the start line
 Everyone is pumped and we're ready to roll
Can you see Berkley behind the gal in black pants? That is where the finish line is and Berkley sprinted her little heart out to the end. She was awesome and passed me right up. Go BERKS!!!

We had a party for GOTR the night before the race. The girls were pumped. It was so much fun. We went to Michaels and bought stuff for our hair, ate pizza and cupcakes and laughed until it was time to go home. 
I'm so proud of these girls for setting a goal and accomplishing it. A 5k isn't something you can just do without proper training. I'm so glad they put in the time and came out on top. Way to go girls!!!


**If you're interested in participating (running buddy or coaching) for fall,   Go HERE to find out more about the program. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a whole lot of awesomeness!

Karen said...

What a gret accomplishment for Berkley, not to mention helping with a very good cause. Glad she could participate this year.

Pias . together . forever . Hooray

Pias  .  together  .  forever  .  Hooray