Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Recipe of the week...

I try not to choose recipes that I haven't tried and loved, but I saw this recipe demonstrated on Good Things Utah yesterday and I could almost smell it's deliciousness coming through my T.V. and it seemed fairly easy to make. I'm a big fan of coconut milk and this recipe is loaded with the stuff. If you try it, let me know what you think!
serving suggestions: Serve over brown rice with steamed carrots and broccoli on the side

Sticky Coconut Chicken

6-8 boned, skinned chicken thighs (about 1½ lbs.
2/3 cup canned coconut milk
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 teaspoon hot chili flakes
¾ cup rice vinegar
½ cup sugar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon hot chili flakes
4-5 green onions, finely chopped
Rinse chicken and pat dry.  In a large bowl mix coconut milk, ginger, pepper and hot chili flakes.  Add chicken and mix; cover and chill at least 1 hour or up to a day.
Lift chicken from bowl, reserving marinade; pull thighs open and lay flat on a lightly oiled grill or frying pan on high heat.  Cover and cook, turning thighs as needed to brown on both sides, until meat is no longer pink in the center of the thickest part (about 10-12 minutes total).  Baste frequently with remaining marinade…and use it all.
Transfer thighs to a warm platter and pour the chili glaze evenly over meat; garnish with green onions.
Chili glaze:
In a 2-3 quart pan, combine rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, and hot chili flakes.  Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until mixture is reduced to ½ cup, 8 to 10 minutes.  Use hot.  Makes ½ cup of glaze

1 comment:

nicole b said...

Sounds yummy. I have a thing for coconut milk too! I'm going to try to put this and your baked ziti on the menu for next week--one of my goals is to cook more for my family this year!

Pias . together . forever . Hooray

Pias  .  together  .  forever  .  Hooray