Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A few thoughts on Joseph...


Last night was "family night" and Joseph was in charge of giving the lesson. I always allow my kids to choose their own topic, but we've been using this book for the past 3 years and it works great. The lessons are simple, easy and most importantly, short and to the point. 
Joseph picked his topic (the widow's mite), read the lesson and was ready to go by 7:00. He also got a bright idea right before it was his turn to take charge. He decided to crochet a hat during FHE. I tell you, when that kid puts his mind to something....look out, there's no stopping him. Here's his final product. I think we are going to crochet hats again this year for our family project. Imagine how many we'll have by next winter, if we start now...
Also, Sunday was a big day for one of Joseph's best friends, Nathan. Nate earned his Eagle Scout this week.....way to go! He is such a good kid and a great example to Joseph and the rest of their friends. I think this inspired Joseph to "get on it". 
I made sure my entire family came to support Nate on this very special day. I not only want Nate to know we love and support him, but I also want my kids to feel the severity and importance of such an amazing accomplishment. My kids sat still and quite for one solid hour, with no crying, whining or goofing around. I was proud of them. I could tell they understood what was going on. I am so grateful for the gospel and I'm constantly moved by situations that take place around me. I feel such a closeness to my Savior and feel His love in my life, especially through my kids. I hope and pray, with the help of my Savior, I'm able to teach my kids basic gospel principles, so that they will be able to grow and become good examples and citizens. I at least feel we are moving in the right direction, even though somedays are really hard.

2 comments:

Vierra crew said...

Hey I'm so gla you found our blog!! Your fam is so fab! Look at you getting all into Valentines Day. All that baking and decorating! I love it! What an inspiration you are. I am going to try those rolls sometime. Thanks for the comment on our blog. I added you to my friends list so we can keep in touch!

Jenn O. said...

You are a great mom, you should be very proud!

Pias . together . forever . Hooray

Pias  .  together  .  forever  .  Hooray