Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A family favorite.....

I am so grateful for fall and for the endless varieties of soup recipes available to us. 

Honestly, my kids would eat a bowl of soup every day for every meal.
 This is definitely one of our family favorites. 


Serve with fruit & crusty bread and you'll have all six food groups in one easy to prepare meal!

Broccoli Cheese soup


1-1/2 lbs. broccoli, fresh or frozen
6 T. margarine
1/2 C. chopped onion
6 T. flour
2 C. chicken broth ~1 can
2 C. milk
4 C. half & half ~1 quart, I use fat free
2 tsp. salt
dash of nutmeg
2 C. grated cheddar cheese, or combine cheddar, jack or mozzarella 

Cook broccoli in small amount of salted water till tender. Drain. Melt margarine in heavy saucepan. Add onion and cook till clear. Stir in flour to make a roux; slowly add chicken broth, stirring constantly. Slowly add in milk and half and half. Stir and cook till thickened. Add cooked broccoli. Makes 12 servings.

~note: I like to add a couple tablespoons of chicken base. 
That way I can omit most of the salt.

No comments:

Pias . together . forever . Hooray

Pias  .  together  .  forever  .  Hooray